- Round-trip transportation from right near your Skagway cruise ship pier!
- English-speaking and trained Skagway Chilkoot Lake Nature and Wildlife Viewing Shore Excursion guides!
- Scenic high-speed catamaran boat transfer along the Lynne Canal!
- Complimentary sack lunch and purified water is included, please bring your own reusable water bottle, you will have the opportunity to fill it up during the excursion!
- Visit Chilkoot Lake State Park!
- Escape the cruise ship shore excursion crowds and enjoy the unique sights of Skagway and Alaska!
Your Skagway Wildlife Viewing Shore Excursion begins with a high-speed catamaran ride along the steep-walled fjords, which connect Skagway to Haines. Over a dozen unnamed waterfalls drop hundreds of feet from both sides of the boat. Upon arrival in Haines, you will meet your expert naturalist cruise excursion guide for a drive to Chilkoot Lake State Park.
This park has it all: a turquoise lake surrounded by snowy mountain peaks, a salmon-filled river flowing into the sea, and important Tlingit cultural sites. Bald eagles, harbor seals, and brown bears are often seen here. In May, June, and July, the wildflowers are at their peak and eagles are busy caring for their young in the nest. Beginning in late July, the river fills with migrating salmon, while brown bears come down to the river's edge to feed. As the number of salmon in the river increases, the likelihood of seeing bears down along the river increases, with a good probability of bear sightings from early August through late September.
As you drive through the park, your shore excursion guide knows the best places to stop for scenery and the possibility of wildlife spotting. Your guide is equipped with a powerful spotting scope to bring the wildlife in close, and your guide will help interpret the behavior of the local various animals and explain how the animals fit into the Chilkoot's complex ecosystem. Make sure you bring your camera to take advantage of the numerous photo opportunities. During the excursion, your guide will find a nice location to enjoy your included box lunch.
PLEASE NOTE: Depending on the ferry schedule between Haines and Skagway, you may also have some extra time to explore the quaint downtown area of Haines. Round-trip fast ferry cost is included in the price of all departures of this Skagway Chilkoot Lake Nature and Wildlife Viewing Excursion.
This Skagway Alaska shore excursion requires a minimum of two to operate. Wildlife sightings cannot be guaranteed.